[SunRescue] Re: [[SunRescue] Redhat 6.0 SPARC on an IPX?]

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Tue May 18 20:49:49 CDT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Ted Timmons wrote:

> [slapslapslap] Good call.
>
> To rephrase that, "has anyone tried putting RH6 on an IPX, IPC, or anything
> similar?"

I'm not a big Red Hat fan, but I can speak of Debian 2.1... I run it on my
SPARCstation 2, IPX, and have put it on an IPC, SS-1, and SS-1+ ..

I run Slackware Linux on my 486, so Linux was the obvious choice for me
when I got my SPARC(s). It has given my the flexibility and power and feel
I want, and accomplishes what I desire.

Besides some minor quirks due to lack of development in the past, I use my
SPARCstation 2 as my primary machine. I'm not saying that it is better
than the other OSes available for the architecture, just that it suits me
just fine (although I'd love to try out the others.. BSD, SunOS).

I've found from my experience that Red Hat tends to do a lot for you, and
in some cases may not be as flexible (my opinion-- I am more command-line
oriented).

Give it a shot.. Don't give up if it doesn't work out... try Debian :)

And don't leave out the other great operating systems available for the
architecture.

> :^)
>
> --
> Ted Timmons            Web Administrator
> tedt at colubs.com                     JAPH
> If you can't convince them, confuse them.

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * DESCENT * 486
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Wars * SeaQuest * Voltron * Summer
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Trek * WarCraft II * SPARCstation 2