[SunRescue] Rescued a Sparc Classic...

JDuran jduran at cms.dbc.com
Fri May 14 11:01:07 CDT 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01BE9DE8.4DCB5FA0

Hey all,
The new mailing list seems to be working fine, at least from my =
perspective...

I rescued a Sparc Classic (16mb RAM, 424mb Seagate) from the boneyard at =
the office, stole some RAM from another one, and now have a 64mb machine =
running Red Hat 5.2.  Biggest problem was the CD-ROM drive I rescued was =
dead (interface responded but it wouldn't read any CDs).  After messing =
around a bit, found an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive hiding in a discarded =
Wintel machine and put it in the external Sun case - it worked!  FYI, =
it's a Sanyo CRD-254S "Quadruple Speed" (I guess that means 4X) drive.  =
The external address switch cable didn't fit so I just set the address =
with jumpers before I crammed in the drive.  So I guess those Intel =
boxes are good for something after all... <hehehe>

The 'new' machine makes a great Apache web server and Big Brother =
systems monitor.  Now I need to go paw through the junkyard for another =
SCSI drive...=20

Joe

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01BE9DE8.4DCB5FA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hey all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The new mailing list seems to be working fine, at =
least from=20
my perspective...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I rescued a Sparc Classic (16mb RAM, 424mb Seagate) =
from the=20
boneyard at the office, stole some RAM from another one, and now have a =
64mb=20
machine running Red Hat 5.2.  Biggest problem was the CD-ROM drive =
I=20
rescued was dead (interface responded but it wouldn't read any =
CDs).  After=20
messing around a bit, found an internal SCSI CD-ROM drive hiding in a =
discarded=20
Wintel machine and put it in the external Sun case - it worked!  =
FYI, it's=20
a Sanyo CRD-254S "Quadruple Speed" (I guess that means 4X) drive.  =
The=20
external address switch cable didn't fit so I just set the address with =
jumpers=20
before I crammed in the drive.  So I guess those Intel boxes are =
good for=20
something after all... <hehehe></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The 'new' machine makes a great Apache web server =
and Big=20
Brother systems monitor.  Now I need to go paw through the junkyard =
for=20
another SCSI drive... </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Joe</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01BE9DE8.4DCB5FA0--