[SunRescue] Re(2): [SunRescue] IPX

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Thu Jun 10 14:05:54 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>Alternativly you could (if you have a transponder AUI --> BNC) just
>attch it top a LAN and use a X-server program, this will allow you to
>use your system as if you where using the screen. Most X-servers will
>hunt out an IP address so you don't need to specify one. The oonly
>downsid of this is, what OS you have on it and if it is booting all the
>way. Solaris 2.6 starts XDM atomatically, Solaris 1.x does not. So you
>would need to telnet into it and start XDM or export the display.

this wouldn't work very well on a machine with no OS, and if the machine
has default Prom settings it is probably trying to netboot out the AUI
port (the default diagnostic boot is netboot)

"Proximity to wonder has blunted our perception and appreciation of it"
--Tim Hartnell in 'Exploring ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE on your Commodore 64'