[SunRescue] IPX

apotter at icsa.net apotter at icsa.net
Thu Jun 10 14:25:27 CDT 1999

The IPX goes into diagnostic mode (by default) in the absence of a keyboard,
pumping all console I/O out TTYA.  Go to staples or office max and buy a
Macintosh modem cable and a null modem adaptor.  That and a terminal (or term
emulation software) and you're in business.

The IPX uses 4x33 (16 MB) 72 pin simms.  It will work with 4x36 simms, which
are the parity version of what is commonly used in PCs.  4x32's will not work.
 It has four banks, numbered 0-3, starting closest to the internal scsi
connector.  Add the next simm to #2, then #1 and finally #3.

The CPU is upgrade-able with a Weitek PowerUP, which doubles the speed.  They
are around for about $150 these days.

The 30 pin Mainboards that other folks have mentioned are either for an IPC (3
banks of 4 simms each) or may be an upgrade board produced by Cycle.

Hope this helps.....

AL

| Al Potter                          Senior Network Security Analyst |
| apotter at-yay icsa ot-day net                           ICSA Labs |
|                                                http://www.icsa.net |
| If the spambots learn piglatin........                             |
| PGP Fingerprint:  D3 1D BE 8C B5 DD 12 61  5A 4A 65 32 93 E5 D9 36 |