[geeks] Tyan Tempest Motherboard Headache

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 07:31:23 CST 2018

Hi,

Well this one's got me stumped. I don't seem to have great luck with
Xeon machines it seems.

I have a Tyan Tempest (appropriate name as it happens) i5000XL S2692
motherboard I bought '100% working' off flea bay. It came with 2x E5320
Xeons (4 core, 1.86GHz 80W TDP). I bought some 80W rated heat-sinks and
some 6-32 nyloc nuts to bolt them down to (as I didn't have a
motherboard tray with the required mounts).

I rigged it up to a 500W PSU with a suitable 8pin EPS power feed and...
nothing. Black screen, fans run flat out. I tried and tried but no dice
was had, until I got it to go and it limped up as far as the BIOS screen
then flaked out. It went through another bout of not working then limped
up again on one CPU and reported a negative temperature in the other
slot. I figured maybe I had a faulty CPU and took it out.

Hey Presto! It works fine on one CPU. I've got 2 more E5320s and tried
one of those, same result. The heat-sink on the working CPU is thermally
functional (under stress tests it gets HOT) so I don't think my
attachment/paste technique is bad.

While sulking in 2 CPU full fans mode, no chips get hot or even warm. It
just sits there, and I've left it on for several minutes.

I am kinda stumped. I've tried a few PSUs, up to 650W rated redundants
from the PowerEdge 1800, with no different results. I'm pretty resigned
to using it on one socket (which it seems fine with) and accepting it's
a faulty board at this stage.

Any ideas?

--

Mark