[geeks] Amazing! Tales from the Dell T30 trenches...

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Wed Feb 14 05:04:41 CST 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 01:11:52PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>I dunno how the E3-12xxvx CPUs stack up against desktop's equivalent
>models. Our production server is running on an E3-1230v3 and seems to hold
>it's own in a small business LAMP server setup.

They're /broadly/ equivalent to the same generation/specification
non-Extreme i7. So, for example, an E3-1240v3 is /roughly/ equivalent in
performance and specification to an i7-4770K. Both are 4C/8T, 3.4Ghz base
clock although the i7 can turbo to 3.9 and the Xeon to 3.8. In this case,
the Xeon doesn't have an integrated GPU, wherease the i7 does. So,
/broadly/ equivalent :)

i7s don't support ECC RAM though (E3 Xeons support both ECC and non-ECC
RAM).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/