[geeks] Amazing! Tales from the Dell T30 trenches...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:27:54 CST 2018

Fair enough, I wanted something that included, in no particular order:

A Xeon CPU
ECC RAM
On-board (crap) RAID
Intel NIC
Expandability
Low power usage
Quiet
Reasonably-priced

The T30 hit all those points, and it was $400 after taxes and a 3 year NBD
service program ($34, too cheap to ignore). As I plan on using this as a
training machine for Windows Server 2016 (I know), I can use the Eval version
for free, 're-arming' the OS every 180 days for a total of 3 years of usage.

I don't need the machine to last 3 years, but Dell will make sure it will for
$34 more.

Also, Brand-new Kingston DDR4 ECC RAM is $91/8 Gig, $180/16 Gig, to a max 64
Gig supported by the chip/mb.

Quite happy with it, tomorrow I'm testing the AMT function...

Lionel