[geeks] Dual Xeons - the Saga continues

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 03:00:06 CST 2018

On 9 Feb 2018 08:42, "Michael-John Turner" <mj at mjturner.net> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 08:32:45PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:

> The Intel IDA CD now works. That's allowed some configuration to be done.
> I setup the BMC at an IP address via NIC2 but it doesn't seem to want to
> talk to me. Tried Web, SSH and Telnet.

Hmm. It should be web accessible. Have you tried using an IPMI client?

I'm still trying to suss out where to get Intel's remote management
software. Notably, I think Intel boards may require a module for full Web
based management, and this is a Workstation board so ot doesn't have an RMM
header as far as I can tell.

> That sucks. You may be able to replace the fans with ones that allow for
manual speed adjustment but that'll be more investment in a system that's
probably cost you too much already.

I have one other BIOS option to try, switching from Open to closed loop fan
control. If that doesn't work I'm going to start throwing resistors in the
fan circuits ;)

As regards a future machine, I tend to find in the UK Workstations are
> overpriced for what they are. They aren't in nearly the levels of surplus
> here as they are in the US and are sought-after enthusiast items

Indeed. There are still lots of bargains to be had though. A few months ago
I bought a Fujitsu RX300S8, dual E5-2620s, 64GiB RAM, 6x300GiB 2.5" 10k RPM
SAS for GBP 280. The machine was still under warranty at the time, which
was quite a shock.

Good buy, but that'd be outside my price bracket, nonetheless that's a lot
if bang for buck.

I can see plenty of Rx10s on eBay that are in decent condition and noit
> silly money. I'll consider picking one up sometime.

One option for finding good deals on eBay is LabGopher[1]. Unfortunately
for us non-US people the non-US versions are not as comprehensive yet.

[1] https://www.labgopher.com/ - see also ca.labgopher.com for Canada and
uk.labgopher.com for the UK.

Handy, turned up some decent eBay deals on Dell Servers. Looking at the
R710 I can lob a low end Quadro in the ling PCIe slot and use it as a
Workstation easily. Bigger should mean quieter, too.

--

Mark