[geeks] Dual Xeons - the Saga continues

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Fri Feb 9 02:42:06 CST 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 08:32:45PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>The Intel IDA CD now works. That's allowed some configuration to be done.
>I setup the BMC at an IP address via NIC2 but it doesn't seem to want to
>talk to me. Tried Web, SSH and Telnet.

Hmm. It should be web accessible. Have you tried using an IPMI client?

>I configured the SDR for the right fans and chassis intrusion for the
>switch on the case (which is plugged in and closed, yes). Still spinning
>every fan in there at 100%.

That sucks. You may be able to replace the fans with ones that allow for
manual speed adjustment but that'll be more investment in a system that's
probably cost you too much already.

>As regards a future machine, I tend to find in the UK Workstations are
>overpriced for what they are. They aren't in nearly the levels of surplus
>here as they are in the US and are sought-after enthusiast items.

Indeed. There are still lots of bargains to be had though. A few months ago
I bought a Fujitsu RX300S8, dual E5-2620s, 64GiB RAM, 6x300GiB 2.5" 10k RPM
SAS for GBP 280. The machine was still under warranty at the time, which
was quite a shock.

>I can see plenty of Rx10s on eBay that are in decent condition and noit
>silly money. I'll consider picking one up sometime.

One option for finding good deals on eBay is LabGopher[1]. Unfortunately
for us non-US people the non-US versions are not as comprehensive yet.

[1] https://www.labgopher.com/ - see also ca.labgopher.com for Canada and
uk.labgopher.com for the UK.

Cheers, MJ
--