[geeks] Dual Xeons - the Saga continues

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Feb 5 05:38:04 CST 2018

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 04:42:52PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>I'm stuck. Again. Anyone got any ideas?

A few others have suggested checking for a chassis intrusion switch, which
is a good start. I'd also update the BIOS and EFI to the latest. I had a
quick look at the manual[1] and there were a few titbits on page 53:

"In order to provide the proper fan speed control for a given system
configuration, the BMC must have the appropriate platform data programmed.
Platform configuration data is programmed using the FRUSDR Utility during
the system integration process, and by System BIOS during run time."

"The Field Replaceable Unit & Sensor Data Record Update Utility (FRUSDR
utility) is a program used to write platform specific configuration data to
NVRAM on the server board. It allows the User to select which supported
chassis (Intel or Non-Intel) and platform chassis configuration is being
used."

That may be an avenue worth investigating. You mention there are no fan
settings in the BIOS - that's odd, as the manual suggests there should be?

BTW, is there any specific reason why you're setting up an LGA771 system?
They're typically loud, slow and power hungry. With the bargain basement
cost of LGA1366 systems I'd not go near anything older in x86 land. You can
pick up well-specced a Dell 11G (Rx10) for GBP150-250 on eBay.

[1] http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/d38960006_s5000datasheet.pdf

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/