[geeks] Documentation Viewer Recommendation

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sun Apr 15 14:04:48 CDT 2018

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, Michael Parson wrote:

<snip>

>> I'm not a fan of the touchbar, definitely not defending it.  However,
>> I've used enough systems over the years that didn't have a proper ESC
>> key that I'm more likely to hit CTRL-[ to generate the ESC as I am to
>> reach up and hit the ESC key itself.
>
> There are always workarounds[0], but this is just the last point in a long
> list.  Apple have said, loudly and in my ways, that hackers are not their
> target audience.  After so many years of hearing that, I'm agreeing with
> them.

I think I'm probably heading in that direction as well.  My Late-2009
27" iMac will probably be the last Apple product I spend my own money
on, and it will probably wind up running Linux when Sierra quits getting
updates.

My current work laptop is a Mid 2014 15" Retina MBP, which is due for a
hardware refresh, and I'm seriously considering going with a Thinkpad
running Linux instead of getting the newer Macbook.

>> I also have always mapped CTRL to be left of the A key and don't even
>> bother mapping the CAPS-LOCK back in.
>
> Me, too.  OS X frequently forgets that I've made that choice, so I have to
> open the "Keyboard" settings pane to remind it.

Huh, never had that problem.

> Windows may not have a UI to make that change, but at least setting it in
> the Registry nails the preference into place.  xmodmap, of course, works
> as well as it has for 30 years.

Yup.  Only place I've not found a way to re-map it is Android, but I
don't spend enought time on a physical keyboard working on Android to
dig into it too deeply.  Maybe if Sentio ever ships the Superbook...

> Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie are still right after all this time.

Don't get that ref, even after reading about them on Wikipedia.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX