[geeks] Brother 8250CDN and CUPS?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Fri Jun 23 10:00:00 CDT 2017

Has anyone here had any luck getting a Brother HL-L8250CDN duplex color
laser printer working properly from CUPS?  All the discussion about
Brother printers is that they Just Work, and indeed everything does Just
Work ...  except the duplexer.  It *will not* duplex from Unix, period.

Duplexing works fine from Windows (10, x64) once you delete the printer
device Win10 auto-installs as soon as it sees the printer on the
network, and install the Win10 x64 driver downloaded directly from
Brother instead.  So I know there's nothing wrong with the duplex
functionality.  I just cannot make it work via CUPS (or lpc).

(With the default Win10 driver, oddly, it will duplex, but ONLY with
tumble/short-edge binding.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications