[geeks] Scam ware on MacOS and Linux

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 00:29:57 CDT 2016

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 10:52 PM, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My question was basically, when did the bMicrosoft Computer Centerb scam
> morph to include Mac and Linux computers.

Why do you think it has? Go back and re-read your initial post on this - the
scammer was confused when your answers weren't what they expected (you used
the words 'confused' and 'confusion')... If the script had decision trees as
you speculate, why was the caller confused? The script would have told the
caller how to handle each Mac/Linux-related response, instead you got
Windows-specific suggestions every time you said you weren't running Windows.

Every action the caller asked you to do indicated they thought you were on a
Windows computer - 'Windows key' and asking you to install a Windows
executable - I don't see in your story that the caller ever asked you to do
something Mac/Linux-specific.

I just don't see it from the story you shared, to be honest it seems like
because the caller didn't say 'I give up, I don't have an answer for Mac/Linux
computers' you assume they have a script that addresses Mac/Linux platforms...
Maybe you left something out of your original story that led you to think
scammers have added minority desktop OSes like Mac OS X and Linux, all I have
is what you wrote.

Anyway, to answer your question I had not, and still have not, heard of the
'Microsoft support scammers' going after Mac/Linux users.