[geeks] OSX 10.6.x Install disc images?

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Mon Apr 18 08:28:38 CDT 2016

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016, velociraptor wrote:
> A brief web search suggests it's checking for OpenCL support on the
> graphics card. If you have a supported Mac, you can install it, then
> just copy the application onto a USB stick and transfer over to the
> unsupported machine.
>
> That said, you can get low-end OpenCL cards pretty cheaply these days.
> Here's a complete list: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823
>
> I think I paid $75 for my NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 that is a 'back up' in
> my 2010 Mac Pro so I can see console output (my primary NVIDIA is not
> flashed with Mac firmware).

Thanks very much for the response, Nadine. I had meant to close the loop
on this but so much time had passed I didn't want to clutter the list.

Turns out you can force OSX to install a package and bypass its checks
using 'installer' from the command line:
$ installer -pkg /Volumes/Final Cut Studio/installer/FinalCutStudio.mpkg
-target /

This being said, it turns out both FCP and Motion are looking for Quartz
Extreme support which appears to have been phased out prior to this later
generation of iMac and its graphics cards. I did consider doing a
graphics card exchange but it looks like a _massive pain in the butt_.

I think I'm going to reformat my old iMac, perhaps stick an SSD in it for
a bit of a speed boost, and call it good.

But thanks again!

  - JP