[geeks] [rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Jun 24 11:55:00 CDT 2015

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 4:38 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The 'free license for pirated copies' program is distinct from the 'free
> license for system testers'.
>
> The pirate program has been rescinded/repealed.
>
> The other program, for testers, was literally just announced a few days
ago.

Ibm aware of all of this.

> That the license agreement doesn't reflect changes announced a couple days
ago
> is hardly surprising.

The license agreement is what matters most here, not what some news rags say.
To join the insider program, you agree and are bound by itbs terms.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2938636/microsoft-windows/microsoft-mudd
> ies-waters-about-free-copy-of-windows-10-to-beta-testers.html
>

> Please read the above link and related supporting bits before 'correcting'
me,
> thanks.

I did read the article you posted, as well as several other, more recent
articles.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/21/microsoft_backtracks_on_free_windows_
10_upgrade_promise/
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/microsoft-clarification
-kinda-clears-up-free-windows-10-license-confusion/

The bottom line is, if you get the final version of windows 10 through the
insider program, it is bound by the insider program agreement T&Cbs.  Itbs
not a free license for personal use, itbs for giving feedback to MS on their
product.  Tech news outlets got excited about the idea that participants in
the insider program get access to the final version of windows 10 and reported
on that (which is notable since in the past, the insider program ended when a
final product was released).  They left out the fact that the insider program
license is still not for general use, itbs still for providing feedback to
Microsoft on their product.

What senior MS officials say is not a license agreement.  Sure, nobody is
going to beat down your door for that copy of Windows 10, but itbs still not
licensed for personal or business use.