[geeks] [rescue] VirtualBox anecdotes - was Re: A wee bit off-topic

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:13:55 CDT 2015

The requirement that one secure hardware compatible with the intended OS is
nothing new, and without knowing the specifics of your two systems it's hard
to comment.

That it runs on older hardware is good. That it doesn't run on your specific
model newer computer isn't that surprising, driver support for newer hardware
is typically a challenge for new OSes.

The Inspiron 15 is one of those cheap 'whatever works' builds from Dell
intended for consumers, while the Lattitude is their business line and uses
more stable, better-supported hardware. A quick scan of Dell's support page
shows about two dozen distinct varieties of 'Inspiron 15' spanning the last 5
years - they literally redesign the Inspiron 15 with every change of the
season...

Absent the just-announced offer to give testers free copies of a Win 10, why
would a non-IT person install an OS that is still under development and would
have required a reformat/install at the end of the evaluation?

Lionel