[geeks] SSH Forwarding a non-local server / OpenVPN

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:22:33 CDT 2015

Hi,

You recall I asked last week about VPN/SSH options with a non-VPN
router. I decided to explore SSH tunneling and can find plenty of
information on setting up tunnels to remote *nix machines which is
grand, by the end of the year our whole system will be Linux based so
nothing to worry about here. However there is a short-term fly in the
ointment. Our production systems currently run on a Windows Server box
(I am slowly attempting to migrate it to a Linux VM but I keep getting
other stuff land on my plate). I can't SSH into the box (I dare not
expose any ports on an old Windows Server anyway!) as it has no SSH.

I only need access to port 80 on it. Is there any way to forward it's
port 80 to a point on Linux VM/server I can SSH forward? Is this a
nightmare that's more effort than it's worth?

Alternatively, does anyone have a good tutorial/hardware platform
recommendation for building a robust OpenVPN to make a router that
will take a WAN connection and route Internet traffic in to the LAN
(any outgoing, plus selected in incoming) and offer a VPN gateway to
connect to the LAN from a remote point also? Or does an affordable
version of this exist to buy that's not by someone horrible like
TP-Link? :)

Thanks, as always, for any help,

--

Mark Benson