[geeks] VPN behind BT Business Hub 5

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Wed Jun 3 08:33:08 CDT 2015

On 3 June 2015 at 13:27, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dunno if you guys have any experience here, but BT have just told us
> we can upgrade to Infinity for Business and we're going ahead on the
> basis that out current, very slow ADSL connection is strangling our
> ability to do business as an online retailer. It's also cheaper (go
> figure).
>
> We get to keep our Fixed IP and we also get a free BT Business Hub 5.
> Although the hub has VPN pass-through and/or can be configured to
> allow port access to a VPN system on the LAN side, it has no VPN stack
> of it's own (which I prefer, as I don't really trust BT with such
> things).
>
> I basically need a VPN access from out side OR a usable alternative
> (ssh tunnels?) that'll allow me access to the company intranet and LAN
> when I'm off-site. What are my options?

Having spent quite a lot of time fighting IPSEC I've become a huge fan
of OpenVPN, works through NAT and even via a connection with dynamic
IP allocation at both ends (just setup a dynamic DNS entry for the
server end and have the OpenVPN config point to it, when the IP
changes you have a few minutes offline & then everything picks up
automatically. Obviously static server IP preferred, but sometimes you
have to work with what you have :)

I'd have a server on the lan running OpenVPN and an ssh server and map
at least those two ports through the BT hub (or set it as the DMZ
server and map the lot :)