[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon May 19 21:31:37 CDT 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014, Rick Hamell wrote:
> On 5/19/14, 1:15 PM, Michael Parson wrote:
>> Long answer: In Texas, open cary of a long gun (rifle/shotgun with
>> a barrel longer than 16") is legal, as long as it is not done in a
>> threatening manner.  Open carry of handguns is strictly forbidden
>> unless you are in Law Enforcement.
>
> Wow.. Oregon is actually more permissive about guns than Texas? Here
> it's legal to open carry hand guns without being law enforcement
> anywhere. It's highly frowned upon in most cities, but I'll open carry
> when out hiking or deep in the woods. Between the mushroom hunters,
> the meth labs, (some) gold miners, and the marijuana grows you have to
> be prepared.

It's not the wild-west down here, it really isn't. :)

We didn't even get concealed carry until George Bush was elected as our
governor in 1995.  It was part of his campaign promise.  The bill to
allow it had been in front of the previous governor (Ann Richards) a few
times and she'd vetoed it each time.  W said he'd sign it if elected, he
was, and he did.

There are people pushing to allow those with their conceal carry
licenses to be allowed to open carry.  The primary argument is that
it would protect them from incidental and accidental exposure of the
gun.  A couple of years ago the law was changed to protect against
being prosecuted for incidental exposure of the gun, stuff like your
gun getting exposed when you reach for something off the top shelf at
Wal-Mart and some suburban soccer mom freaks out.

--
Michael Parson
Austin, TX