[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Bill Green bill at supposedly.org
Thu May 15 19:44:06 CDT 2014

On 15/05/14 03:42 PM, hike wrote:
> How funny!  You wish to us a big USA city to predict for the entire country?
>
> It would take a lot of work to be sure that Atlanta PD is reporting their
> crime load accurately.

Hemenway's argument that the original number is a vast overestimate in
the first paragraph I quoted does not depend at all on the second
paragraph, which is simply an illustration of his point.  It tries to
correlate Kleck's (extrapolated from interviews) numbers to nationwide
crime reports and finds that they make no statistical sense.

> You also have to note that Atlanta is in the South where guns are more
> prevalent.  Many of the suburb communities around Atlanta are "homeowners
> are gun owners b
.  All that to say, criminal know when people have guns and
> restrict their criminal activities because of it.  Metro Atlanta would
> be shewed toward the low end and would provide a bogus number.

That must explain why Atlanta has one of the highest per capita violent
crime rates in the USA.