[geeks] linux - lvm - fdisk

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:38:25 CDT 2014

My goal is to use an EC2 instance (Ubuntu) and mount from two to four EBS
volumes as a single mount point.

The driver is that size limit on an EBS volume is 1024mb, and we have more
data to store than that.

(Long range plans are to use S3 as a store for this data, but that's 'in
the future')

What I envision is provisioning a host, use LVM to setup a volume group,
containing two EBS volumes, for a 2tb 'disk'.  As needed, I create a new
volume, add it to the instance, then the VG.

How-tos [1] indicate one needs to format the drive first, using fdisk, set
partition type to 8e (Linux LVM).

Okay, I can do that, but I'd really prefer to script it.

[1] example
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/40702/how-to-manage-and-use-lvm-logical-volume-management-in-ubuntu/

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 May 2014, at 18:44, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lame question re: LVM. I want to use mkfs.ext3 to format the disk _with_
> > partition type 8e (lvm).  I.e. have it 'happen' by script, vice running
> > fdisk manually.
> >
> > Can this be done?  man seems to say 'yes' but is short on bold text
> saying
> > 'type this in, dummy'
>
> I'm not quite sure what your trying to achieve here, so I'm not sure...
>
> LVM, as I understand it, exists above the base partition scheme, with
> partitions being used as physical volumes into which you add volume groups
> and
> logical volumes. I had to get my head around this to use Xen VMs on a
> debian
> server, but I'm by no means an expert.
>
> I don't know, are you trying to format a bare metal drive to contain a
> single
> a LVM ext3 logical volume?
> Or, are you trying to remove the LVM junk and format the drive with a
> single
> common-or-garden ext 3 partition?
>
> --
>
> Mark Benson