[geeks] linux - lvm - fdisk

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:22:20 CDT 2014

On 15 May 2014, at 18:44, Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lame question re: LVM. I want to use mkfs.ext3 to format the disk _with_
> partition type 8e (lvm).  I.e. have it 'happen' by script, vice running
> fdisk manually.
>
> Can this be done?  man seems to say 'yes' but is short on bold text saying
> 'type this in, dummy'

I'm not quite sure what your trying to achieve here, so I'm not sure...

LVM, as I understand it, exists above the base partition scheme, with
partitions being used as physical volumes into which you add volume groups and
logical volumes. I had to get my head around this to use Xen VMs on a debian
server, but I'm by no means an expert.

I don't know, are you trying to format a bare metal drive to contain a single
a LVM ext3 logical volume?
Or, are you trying to remove the LVM junk and format the drive with a single
common-or-garden ext 3 partition?

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info