[geeks] Anyone know anything about "Industrial FLASH"?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed May 14 14:39:04 CDT 2014

Am 14.05.14 09:57, schrieb microcode at zoho.com:
> What's this all about?
Temperature range.
Write cycles.
Data retention time.

Current consumer SD cards are cheap shitt. Especially TLC (Triple Level
Cell) FLASH based ones. They are down to a few thousand write cycles at
best. Probably less then a thousand for the cheapest. Data retention
time is down to six months. Yes. The card may loose the odd bit if the
bit was written more then six months ago. If the card is written at low
temperatures it may read back garbage at high temperatures and vice versa.

My employer builds and sells network appliances that use MicroSD cards
as internal data buffer. Our products stress the SD cards badly because
data is written too the cards constantly. They are (miss)used as a ring
buffer essentially. We sell several thousand units per month and every
unit undergoes an over night stress test from -40 to +60 degree
Centigrade. With some types of SD cards we experienced around 50%
failure rate in that test. The SD cards went back to the manufacturer...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen