[geeks] Are these servers that bad?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Jun 19 09:50:03 CDT 2014

On eBay, you can get 4GB DDR2 ECC Registered DIMMs for <$10 each.  Max
power usage of 1.9kW is probably with every possible
memory/cpu/expansion/disk slot filled with a dummy load drawing the max
power available (ie, not realistic).

Still, you'd be better off power/cooling wise with a single socket E5
system.  You wouldn't have as many memory or cores, though.

As far as raw integer performance goes, though, things haven't changed much
in the last 5+ years.  Likewise, if you don't recompile your code to use
new FP instructions, you're not going to see any floating point improvement
modern Ivy Bridge Xeons vs a Xeon E54xx, core-for-core.  The best thing
that new Intel chips have going for them is that they have much more and
faster I/O coming out of the CPU than older machines (and I/O related virt.
extensions).

Pat