[geeks] Are these servers that bad?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:35:56 CDT 2014

Yeah, GB...

DDR2 ECC Registered RAM isn't what I'd consider 'cheap', especially when you
have to throw away a 2 Gig part for each 4 gig part you install.

To double the RAM in that server to 128 Gig would require purchase of 32x 4
Gig DDR2 ECC Registered RAM DIMMs, at a market price of $30/ea, or $960. (I've
seen them as low as $25/ea on eBay, but not much less than that, but I haven't
looked recently.)

http://www.nemixcorp.com/8gb-upgrade-for-oracle-sun-sun-sun-fire-x4600-m2-4-d
imm-cpu-card-x64-servers-x8124a-z.html

That strikes *me* as expensive, but opinions vary, and you can sell off the 2
Gig parts to mitigate the cost somewhat...

Lionel