[geeks] Windows 8.1

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:30:09 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Aaron Finley <aaronfinley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand the dislike of the Surface Pro line-up, especially the
> > Pro 3.
> >
> > 1.75lbs, very thin, 12" IPS screen, i7, useable as a "real laptop" with a
> > type cover, no need to take it out of your bag in the security line, and
> > don't have to stow it under the seat (e.g. stop working) during take off.
> >
> > As a 100% traveler, I've been waiting for a device like this for *years*.
>
>  Personally, i think the Surface pro is a great device for it s particular
> niche, but less than optimal as a general purpose device.  For my use, I d
> rather have a better laptop and a more portable tablet than try to get both
> into one device, but I can understand the appeal of the Surface Pro if it
> fits
> your usage.

I get frustrated very quickly trying to do real work on tablets. Prior to
the Pro 3 announcement I was planning to buy an Air 11.6" to augment my
Retina Pro 15" which is just too large on a plane. The Pro 3 is half a
pound lighter than the Air 11.6", thinner, and has a much nicer screen -
Air's resolution remains too low. I think Microsoft has really knocked it
out of the park for the business traveler with the 3. I was on the fence
with the Pro 2 - too big and heavy for where it was supposed to be used.