[geeks] Windows 8.1

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jun 17 09:30:33 CDT 2014

> I was just exposed to Windows 8 for the first time.  [...]

> User management has to be done through an external website?  Who
> thought that *that* was a good idea.

You seem to be a little confused.  Windows is designed to make money
for Microsoft.  Being useful to end users is irrelevant except to the
extent that it affects whether they lose sales - and people still pay
in droves.

User management through an external website makes a whole lot of sense
from that perspective, because it means they can change the pricing for
it almost at will.  It also means that you have to have connectivity to
the world, which means it can phone home at will, thus enabling a whole
lot of data trawling.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org