[geeks] RAID quirks and terminology

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Jun 14 20:32:36 CDT 2014

" Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 21:33:49 -0400
" From: Nick B <nick at pelagiris.org>
"
" I've had occasion to argue the difference between RAID-10 "stripe then
" mirror" vs RAID-10 "mirror then stripe", which leads to much confusion.
" Turns out there's been research on this (probably a lot, but I didn't dig
" *that* deep), and someone has solved that problem further than I realized
" it could be solved.
" http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files/SNIA_DDF_Technical_Position_v2.0.pdf
"
" At 126 pages I'm not sure I'll ever read it cover to cover, but it is very
" interesting.

i recall reading years ago that if you tried to mirror a pair of
stripes, disksuite would silently rearrange itself into the more
failsafe stripe of mirrors.  this suggests that sun solved this
problem back in the '80s.