[geeks] LCD made it 5 years...

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Feb 27 02:04:57 CST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 01:53:39PM -0500, hike wrote:
> "they've been monkeying with the power in the neighborhoodb
>
> bTheyb may be liable for the damage.  You might want to contact your
> Power
> Supplier and talk with them.

In this country where a man and the work of his hands are considered
property of the state, everything is taxed and extorted and where that we
get to keep some percentage of what we earn is understood to be government
largesse, it is inconceivable that a state-sponsored utility would pay
damages to an individual! Maybe in a real country, but ...

>  To lose only one piece of electrical
> equipment doesnbt mean that they are not responsible.  Some devices are
> more likely to being damaged than others.

Very true. I didn't go into details because I am sure it is just a matter of
old age/crappy hardware, but I have everything on a very nice UPS which just
happens to have a dead battery. The UPS figures out the power is getting
flaky way before a person can tell and drops the power immediately and
cleanly. Same thing when it comes back. The last few days when they were
switching over in the morning and evening the stuff on my desk dropped dead
almost 30 seconds before the lights went out in the house. And it takes a
minute after the lights come on before the UPS comes up, and then a short
period until it brings up whatever load is on it. Even with a dead battery
it's a damn nice unit to have.

So, the screen problem is just some kind of equipment failure. Since there
was a lot of talk about these commonly go bad and can be easily fixed
(tools, parts, skills not withstanding) I was hoping to hear some comments
on what the symptoms are when this failure occurs.

Thanks guys.