[geeks] Help needed with Sun V65x

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 21:27:28 CST 2014

Argh.

I've been forced to the realization that the Xeon CPUs are nothing like I
imagined they were.

Solaris 11 failed complaining that the CPU "doesn't support long words".
Fine, my further investigation showed that the "V" series of servers were
unsupported as of Solaris 11.

Solaris 10 is only available from Oracle as a DVD ISO, but the V65x only
has a CD drive. Try two different USB DVD drives, no go. Try swapping the
slimline CD for a DVD drive, no go. The BIOS just skipped right over the
drive, never tried to bot off the DVD.

So then I grab an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 Server CD and I give it a whirl. It
starts out promising, asking me to pick a language, then says the kernel
only support x64 CPUs and this machine has an i686 processor.

Apparently modern OSes don't consider the 3.06 Xeon a true 64 bit CPU.