[geeks] Cluster in a box? Interesting item on offer at eBay

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Fri Feb 7 11:30:33 CST 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Appreciated.
>
> I hold out hope since these are Dell DCS servers and based on a 'standard'
> Tyan MB (model number eludes me at the moment).
>
> For the price & features, I think it looks good for a desk side 'cluster', and
> the ability to hook directly to each blade off a retail ($75) KVM mitigates
> any concerns I might have from your ipmi horror stories.
>
> We'll see, I'll share experiences here as appropriate.

On the follow-up eMails I see people are talking about having it at home,
in which case you're really running a different set of expectations. When
the daffy thing is ~2500 miles away and you lose the ability to reset it
or KVM into it, that's a real pain in the butt. (And Smart Hands in 60 Hud
is expensive)

In your basement, well, it's an inconvenience but a very different matter.

So, again, I'm not sure how relevant my response was after all :)

Good luck!

 - JP