[geeks] Cluster in a box? Interesting item on offer at eBay

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Fri Feb 7 10:24:38 CST 2014

We have a Dell C5000 "microblade" system at work, as well as a couple
dozen M1000e blade systems. The C5000, which is a slightly different
design but essentially the same idea (a bunch of standalone machines in a
single case) is a horrid, horrid beast and we ended up pulling it out of
service.

Now, admittedly, we're pampered on the M1000e's with their M6xx and M7xx
blades, a really nice set of switches, CMC software and integrated DRACs
that FINALLY work properly (remote access per blade, remote media,
console, yadda).

The C5000 has none of that, but it does have IPMI... which is badly broken
and will periodically fail on the blade. Reseating the blade does not
reset the Baseboard Management Controller, you have to physically shut
down the whole unit for some idiotic reason. Without the IPMI you've lost
the ability to remote power-control the blades, amongst other things, so
you're pretty much left with a bunch of dumb-servers in a single case.
We never did determine what would trip the IPMI, but no amount of firmware
upgrades or getting Dell Support involved would fix it. It could be as
simple as a kernel build and a reboot and the BMC would croak.

Anyways. I appreciate I'm slightly OT, since the unit below is a C6100, a
somewhat older system and has a very different blade mainboard... but
given our rather horrid experiences with them I thought I'd at least
mention it.

(We had to do some pretty thorough negotiation with our technician who
flew, repeatedly, from LA to NY where the equipment was located to not
simply throw it out the window of 60 Hudson when it was deracked)

 - JP