[geeks] How to avoid counterfit gadgets?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Mon Feb 3 23:58:12 CST 2014

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:10:47PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On 2/3/2014 3:48 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> >I remember a discussion a while ago elsewhere about SanDisk memory cards and
> >how often they are (were?) being counterfitted. A bunch of people reported
> >receiving bogus cards from various ebay sellers.
>
> The problem isn't limited to eBay, nor is it limited to SanDisk.  It
> can strike any supply chain that isn't large enough to by buying
> directly from the flash manufacturer.

Yes.

> >I need to buy a few SD cards and was wondering how likely I am to get real
> >SanDisks when ordering from ebay, Amazon, etc. since I don't know any stores
> >that ship internationally (Damn you, NewEgg!) that have reasonable prices.
>
> I don't know what the chances of getting fake cards from Amazon are.
> Considering that they accept items from third parties and reportedly
> mingle the inventories, I'm thinking it would be pretty high.
> However, I bet the chances of Amazon Basics cards being fake are
> virtually nil, FWIW.
>
> I suspect that Newegg would be safe.  I could be wrong, but I
> suspect that they would be large enough to purchase SanDisk cards
> only directly from SanDisk.

Again yes. I only wish they would sell internationally since they're a good
shop and like you, I believe they would get the real stuff. But now that
they're turning into a fairly big marketplace aside from selling direct, the
chances are going up that a person just "ordering from the NewEgg site" and
not paying enough attention can also get bit.