[geeks] How to avoid counterfit gadgets?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Feb 3 18:10:47 CST 2014

On 2/3/2014 3:48 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> I remember a discussion a while ago elsewhere about SanDisk memory cards and
> how often they are (were?) being counterfitted. A bunch of people reported
> receiving bogus cards from various ebay sellers.

The problem isn't limited to eBay, nor is it limited to SanDisk.  It can
strike any supply chain that isn't large enough to by buying directly
from the flash manufacturer.

> I need to buy a few SD cards and was wondering how likely I am to get real
> SanDisks when ordering from ebay, Amazon, etc. since I don't know any stores
> that ship internationally (Damn you, NewEgg!) that have reasonable prices.

I don't know what the chances of getting fake cards from Amazon are.
Considering that they accept items from third parties and reportedly
mingle the inventories, I'm thinking it would be pretty high. However, I
bet the chances of Amazon Basics cards being fake are virtually nil, FWIW.

I suspect that Newegg would be safe.  I could be wrong, but I suspect
that they would be large enough to purchase SanDisk cards only directly
from SanDisk.