[geeks] NVRAMs for Suns

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Apr 11 14:29:11 CDT 2014

Am 11.04.14 16:30, schrieb Cory Smelosky:
[fixing the NVRAM]
> I had tried 3 times and I had unfortunately failed to get it cut properly.
>
> Last try nearly worked but there wasn't enough material to solder to
There is a trick: Don't try to get to the - pole of the battery. It is
buried quite deep in the resin and connected to GND anyway. Work your
way from the top into the resin until you get to the battery. That is
the + pole. Prepare the wire from the + pole that goes down. Free it
just enough to solder a wire to it. All you need is a small top-down
notch at the battery end of the chip. Now cut the + pole wire at the
very top of the battery, solder a wire to the stub that gos down into
the resin. Solder an other wire to the GND pin of the chip. Solder a
CR2032 to the other ends of the wires. Cover the notch with hot glue.
Done. A Dremel like tool with a very, very fine miller (1 mm or less)
works best. A cutter knife works too, albeit slower.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen