[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Sep 26 03:19:38 CDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:48:09 -0400 (EDT), Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

> > The FOSS proselytisation is a natural result of people putting their
> > money where their mouth is.
>
> Sounds to me more like putting their mouth where their money - or at
> least time - is. :-)
>
> The biggest problem I have with Linux proselytization (or, based on the
> dictionary definition I find, attempted proselytization) is that it is
> usually, certainly far too often for my taste, more than that: it
> shades off into a "can do no wrong" attitude and "in your face even in
> defiance of active rejection" behaviour, each of which I find
> distasteful in any field, even when I agree with the attitudes and
> messages nominally being pushed.

I've never been one who likes popular music when it was still popular.

Perhaps it is simply a personality trait.

Linux is popular. So you get all the crap that goes with being popular
- fanboys and evangelization.

On the other hand there is a positive flip side to popularity, namely
there is a broad package pool available and there is hardware vendor
interest.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--