[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Sep 25 11:48:09 CDT 2013

> The FOSS proselytisation is a natural result of people putting their
> money where their mouth is.

Sounds to me more like putting their mouth where their money - or at
least time - is. :-)

The biggest problem I have with Linux proselytization (or, based on the
dictionary definition I find, attempted proselytization) is that it is
usually, certainly far too often for my taste, more than that: it
shades off into a "can do no wrong" attitude and "in your face even in
defiance of active rejection" behaviour, each of which I find
distasteful in any field, even when I agree with the attitudes and
messages nominally being pushed.

> If they believe that this is the future, so much so that they're
> willing to put weeks/months of volunteer labor into it, why would you
> expect them to be quiet about it?

Speaking, again, purely personally, because I respect their right to be
let alone and I expect reciprocal treatment.  Just because they believe
in it does not give them any right to disturb me with their evangelism.

> You don't have to like these phenomena, but it's understandable how
> they arise in context.

Yeah, but that's equally true of (for example) corrupt politicians and
outright thieves, too; just because something is understandable doesn't
mean it's not perfectly good grounds for forming negative judgements
(which is where this subthread came from).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org