[geeks] Interconnect: Cell phone to house phone system

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Sep 25 01:39:44 CDT 2013

> I wonder if I can send a fax over one of these links? :)

I once tried faxing over VoI.  It's not quite the same thing, but in
some respects it's related enough that the experience is possibly
relevant.

I found that, over a perfect connection - in particular, no dropped
packets - faxing works great.  But packet loss produces errors the
usual POTS fax codecs are not designed to cope with, and they fail
fairly spectacularly.  (They are designed to deal with the kinds of
errors POTS typically introduces, which are very different from the
kinds of errors VoI typically introduces.)

I am not very up on this stuff, but I have heard people who know more
than I do about it say that there exists a fax codec designed to deal
with typical VoI errors instead.  If the fax devices in question are
prepared to handle that, or if there are devices in the path adapting
the one protocol to the other (I think some ATAs can do this), then you
might well be OK.

As I said, I realize VoI errors are not the same as cellular errors.
But it seems moderately likely to me that the errors cellular causes
may be more like VoI errors than POTS errors....

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org