[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Sep 24 16:50:27 CDT 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Assuming you have adequate RAM (8 Gig, at least 4 Figs as a personal minimum)
> and a recent CPU (like an Intel iSomething) OS X shouldn't be THAT
> bloated/slow, but it is a personal thing, so I'll take your word for it.

I also keep running in to some very annoying bugs.  It seems Apple's
QA has really gone to crap.

> IMHO, Windows 7 is not bad, but it requires a level of expertise unique to
> windows, since it is unlike other OSes and can't be treated as others are...

That it does.  I do not fear the inner machinations of the enigma known as
windows, but it takes a lot of tweaking for me to get a shell I like.

> I have worked professionally (as an end-user/desktop support tech) on Windows
> for 5+ years, and it's gotten better in recent years. I like 8, but I haven't
> learned to appreciate the power of the Metro GUI, so I run a freeware program
> to add a 'start' button and startup in 'desktop' not metro mode.

I like 8 from a kernel-standpoint.  It does do a lot in the way of
performance increases but metro being the default UI is one of the DUMBEST
decisions ever.  I'd rather use NT 3.x's UI.

> As for Windows performance, the best upgrades to improve performance are RAM &
> Video card - 8 Gig is a sweet spot for Win 7/8, and by design most windows
> apps 'run' through the video card (nearly every action an app does results in
> updates to the screen, which makes the video card the usual choke point in
> performance).
>
> As for alternative OSes, I can't think of any I 'd suggest with a straight
> face... You've already excluded about 98% of the market.

I think i'm going to go with a BSD due to my familiarity with the kernel
and its other quirks.  I can beat it in to submission after a sacrifice to
McKusick is made.

> Lionel
>
>> On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've gotten too angry at OS X being too slow and bloated to the point I
> needed to pick another one.  Windows is...windows I don't really think I need
> to explain that.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects