[geeks] Can't decide on an OS

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:45:03 CDT 2013

Assuming you have adequate RAM (8 Gig, at least 4 Figs as a personal minimum)
and a recent CPU (like an Intel iSomething) OS X shouldn't be THAT
bloated/slow, but it is a personal thing, so I'll take your word for it.

IMHO, Windows 7 is not bad, but it requires a level of expertise unique to
windows, since it is unlike other OSes and can't be treated as others are...

I have worked professionally (as an end-user/desktop support tech) on Windows
for 5+ years, and it's gotten better in recent years. I like 8, but I haven't
learned to appreciate the power of the Metro GUI, so I run a freeware program
to add a 'start' button and startup in 'desktop' not metro mode.

As for Windows performance, the best upgrades to improve performance are RAM &
Video card - 8 Gig is a sweet spot for Win 7/8, and by design most windows
apps 'run' through the video card (nearly every action an app does results in
updates to the screen, which makes the video card the usual choke point in
performance).

As for alternative OSes, I can't think of any I 'd suggest with a straight
face... You've already excluded about 98% of the market.

Lionel

> On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I've gotten too angry at OS X being too slow and bloated to the point I
needed to pick another one.  Windows is...windows I don't really think I need
to explain that.