[geeks] Writing software [was Re: Can't decide on an OS]

Nicolai nicolai-geeks at chocolatine.org
Thu Oct 3 17:28:35 CDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:37:29AM -0400, Mouse wrote:

> No, but we're still a fairly tiny minority, or they'd be integrated
> rather than add-ons.  Well, at least for the more user-driven ones,
> like Firefox; things like Chrome or Safari I would not expect that
> from, since end users are not whom they are primarily designed to
> satisfy.

Well, I wouldn't expect Google to promote ad blocking since ads are
their principal source of revenue.  And of course Google owns Chrome and
funds (owns?) Firefox.  I think you're right, it's a question of who the
software serves.

At https://addons.mozilla.org, Adblock Plus is listed as the #1 most
popular addon (by a huge margin).  NoScript is #4.  That's got to count
for something.

I wouldn't say it's a "tiny" minority, anyway.  The main thing standing
in the way of adoption is lack of awareness.  Most people probably don't
even know it's possible to block web ads.  I suppose a prerequisite
issue may just be convincing people that having 4 search bars taking 30%
of their browser's real estate is a situation that "can be improved."

Nicolai