[geeks] Writing software [was Re: Can't decide on an OS]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Oct 2 10:37:29 CDT 2013

>> I watched over a friend's shoulder [...] Facebook.  I cannot
>> understand how anyone can tolerate those ads.  Yet, obviously, most
>> people can.
> I, for one, won't browse the web without both NoScript and AdBlock
> installed.  The existence of these add-ons, and the sheer number of
> people who use them, is evidence in itself that we are not just lone
> voices crying out in the wilderness.

No, but we're still a fairly tiny minority, or they'd be integrated
rather than add-ons.  Well, at least for the more user-driven ones,
like Firefox; things like Chrome or Safari I would not expect that
from, since end users are not whom they are primarily designed to
satisfy.

> And then there's the new "don't track" attribute...

I don't know that...but anything that depends on the server side
honouring a client-side request is probably broken right out of the
gate.  And, since that sort of tracking is a server-side thing, it
doesn't make sense any other way.

Of course, I'm probably just missing something.  As I said, I am not
familiar with the attribute in question.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org