[geeks] postgres newb and hatin' my weekend

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 16:38:05 CST 2013

New job, new company.  The other sysadmin is on vacation starting
yesterday, and he's not only taking  an internet vacation he's far, far,
from electricity for a week.

Of course, the postgres servers in our new prod environment (not yet in
production) crapped the bed last night.  I don't know postgres.  At all.
 The boss would like new production up this weekend so we can test it, and
go-live end of next week.

db-1 and db-2 are in some sort of fail-over scheme.  db-1 is the boss - all
the apps are using his IP, and apps that try to connect .. don't.

I found that this might be because on db-1 port 5432 is only bound to
127.0.0.1.  On db-2 port 5432 is bound to 127.0.0.1 _and_ the server's IP
address.

It appears that db-1 is under the impression that db-2 is in charge.
 Maybe?  What's postgres for 'put yourself back in business because I have
no time for this' ?

I know this is vague, and I'm going to be setting out to do a lot of
reading but man .. I'm totally at sea right now.  Any comments are helpful,
and welcome.

--
Brian Dunbar

"Display some adaptability"