[geeks] Keyboards

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 26 14:55:19 CDT 2013

So for anyone who's been curious, I just sprung for a Truly Ergonomic
Keyboard.  I picked the 209 model with the additional blank keys at
bottom left and right.

http://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=78

The very first thing I discovered was that, not to any great surprise of
mine, I hate the as-shipped placement of the shift and control keys.
That's OK.  It was the work of minutes to swap the keycaps and use
xmodmap to rebind Ctrl to the blank keys.  Later on I'll actually create
a modified kernel keymap.

With that done ...  man, this thing is wonderful.  Excellent key feel,
comfortable to type on (disclaimer:  I put a 5/8" spacer under the top
edge of the keyboard to increase the tilt, as I find it too flat).  I've
had it maybe an hour and while I still haven't quite gotten used to the
placement of the / key yet, my fingers have already learned to dive for
the center for del, tab, bksp, enter, and I estimate I'm 80% to 90% up
to speed.

Naff the laptop-style embedded numeric pad; I don't intend to ever touch
the numlock key.  I bought a Targus numeric keypad to give me a numpad.
 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NURRL0)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.