[geeks] windows backup software

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Mon Mar 25 22:28:18 CDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 05:21:26PM -0400, Shannon wrote:

| No backup server at the moment, and there are some features I want
| rsync doesn't do for me.

Out of curiousity -- what?

| I've always sorta chuckled at Apple for "inventing" Time Machine, which
| is about 90% rsync/hardlink tricks, and some Apple OS and app specific
| knowledge and features.

Most everything in the backup world (and really, not just the backup
world) is just a re-implementation of something that was worked out
years ago.  Even block level data deduplication being used with
backups is at least several years old.

That said, Apple deserves some credit for Time Machine.  They may have
just re-used existing ideas, but they put backups front and center
even for home users -- where they belong.  They made it easy.

Grandma is likely to have useful backups now, set up on her own,
without being prompted to do so by her geeky grandkids.  That's huge!

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us