[geeks] State of the BSDs (Was: [rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?)

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 8 16:57:40 CST 2013

On 06-Mar-2013 01:43, Mouse wrote:
>> What, no mentions of Dragonfly BSD?
>
>> But think about it... single OS and filesystem spread across hardware
>> of your own choice: like a BSD build-your-own Origin supercomputer.
>
> _That_ is Dragonfly's hat?  I very much must look into them; I've been
> wanting to build and/or run something along those lines for a long
> time.
>
> Do you happen to know how they deal with heterogenous-CPU issues?

No, I am currently running Solaris and NetBSD.

My Dragonfly machine had to be retired and I'm planning to build a new
one at some point. So many toys, so little time...

Also note that clustering is a long term goal: right now they are
working on the foundations which would allow it. A whole lot of work is
going into Hammer (filesystem), and the kernel and process model.

Hammer was a lot of fun to play with and I came close to moving to
Dragonfly, but ended up sticking with Solaris since hardware refresh is
going to hit before I could migrate an OS anyway.

So my Dragonfly machine was given away, and is currently a spreadsheet
of potential parts and budget :)

They do have process checkpointing where a process can be written to
disk and restarted on the original or a different system, just noticed
that in the features list.

Anyway, I like it as it is, but its the future clustering they talk
about that I really want to see, so I hope they survive and maybe get
good support from industry even.

If they can just get a reliable cluster system with single OS and a
shared filesystem, I'll be pretty happy.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]