[geeks] Showing values used by a jvm - I am not getting something

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:16:05 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
> On 02/28/2013 04:49 PM, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>>

>> I want to cry BS because you have not _changed_ anything, but ... I
>> don't know everything.  Is using process status actually _not_ the
>> right way to see at a glance what variables java is running?  Is there
>> something going here that I don't know about?
>>

> I agree with you that it looks like nothing has changed, but there is an
> easy way to settle this.
>
> Use 'jconsole' to attach to the java process with JMX.  On the "VM Summary"
> tab it gives you the maximum heap as reported by Java itself.

When I look at it with jconsole ...

   Current heap size:      14,939
Maximum heap size: 2,073,856

Turns out the vendor has a lengthy properties file, with a special
setting at the bottom for 'windows'.  Which what the nice SE was
telling me to edit.

Meanwhile the _actual_ value min/max memory for Linux / unix - is set
in an an env.sh script and passes only one value to all their JVMs.

My _next_ task, time and patience permitting, is to monitor this thing
so I can correctly size memory for all five JVMs that comprise this
service.

--
Brian Dunbar

"Display some adaptability"