[geeks] State of the BSDs (Was: [rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?)

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 2 14:47:14 CST 2013

On 27-Feb-2013 17:02, Bill Green wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear your (and Mouse's) thoughts about the state
> of the various BSDs.  Why don't you trust Free- and Net- (anymore)?  I
> know that Mouse uses older versions of NetBSD, also.  I think I may
> have an idea of why you might not "trust" them -- I've had my own
> problems with recent NetBSD releases -- but I'd like to hear your
> reasons articulated, if you wouldn't mind, especially as you say your
> opinion dates back years.

What, no mentions of Dragonfly BSD?

Periods have been rocky, but amazingly ambitious, nice features, ran
very well for me, and seems a lot more careful and thoughtful than other
OS projects.

On the other hand... it is taking on a huge task, so I am hoping it can
get the kind of supported needed to test and audit something that
ambitious, and help move it along.

But think about it... single OS and filesystem spread across hardware of
your own choice: like a BSD build-your-own Origin supercomputer.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]