[geeks] Cat6 between buildings and grime proofing?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jun 13 14:18:27 CDT 2013

" From: Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
"
" On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
"
" > Terminating your own fiber really sucks and the tools are not cheap.  I have
" > done it once, under supervision.  Once was enough.
" >
" > For perspective, I've had datacenter providers who found it more cost
" > effective to keep stacks of 10-20-50-100-150-200 meter cables than to train
" > people to terminate fiber on demand.
" >
" >
"
" I think a lot of this depends on the type of fiber and the specific needs.  At
" my previous employer, one of my coworkers did fiber termination with
" relatively inexpensive tools that only took a few minutes per terminated
" strand.  Our need was gigabit ethernet, the process was cleave the fiber,
" strip the insulator, polish the end, and install the connector.  This was just
" for relatively short runs, i'm sure a better solution would be needed for runs
" that are miles long.

nb. for runs up to some hundreds of meters you can use multimode
fiber.  start talking kms [not involved here] and you need single-mode
fiber - a much more delicate and finicky beast.  otoh it's good for
-hundreds- of kms.