[geeks] Cat6 between buildings and grime proofing?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jun 13 07:37:41 CDT 2013

" From: Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com>
"
" We're having a new workshop building put up at work and need to supply
" ethernet to the building so the shop staff can use the online
" references while they work.
"
" Issue 1 is getting network to the building.  They will share a common
" electric supply and as such should be universally grounded. I have
" been told it isn't good practice to run Cat6 between physical
" buildings because of ground difference between the ends. Is this
" something we need to worry about here and if so what are the
" alternatives?

if you aren't exceeding the 1Gbt length limit i'd be inclined to think
you can get away with it, like in a single large building covering the
same area.

alternative - ethernet over fiber?

" Issue 2 is the shop staff will have a PC and be working on 4x4s all
" day that range from kinda clean to caked in crap. They also do a lot
" of oily jobs. What would you guys recommend for protecting the PC?

i've seen molded silicone overlays for kbds...